Two-time F1 world champion Fernando Alonso has indicated that he wishes to continue his Formula One career beyond the end of the current season and gives Alpine an ultimatum to sign him before someone else does.
Fernando Alonso is now the veteran of the Formula 1 grid after Finland’s Kimi Raikkonen retired at the end of last season. The 40-year-old Spaniard is under contract with Alpine until the end of the 2022 campaign but said on Friday that he has no intention of leaving the sport in the near future. Further, his French team Alpine needs to resign the Spanish driver, or else he’ll go looking elsewhere.
“I think obviously if I was 25 there wouldn’t be this discussion [about his future], it’s a question of age, people are trying to find a way for young talent, but I think it’s a question of performance,” the Alpine driver said in Melbourne on Friday.
“I think last year I performed well and finished slightly ahead of Esteban [Ocon, his teammate]. We’ll see this year how it goes, but it’s about performance, not age. As I said at the beginning of the year, I still feel competitive and fast and I feel like I’m enjoying my time in Formula 1.
“I guess I’ll race for another two or three years, if it’s with Alpine it will be good, but if it’s with another team it will be good too. But we’ll see, I’ll start those discussions probably this summer.”
The Alpine team has signed Frenchman Esteban Ocon to a long-term contract [until 2024], while young Australian Oscar Piastri is the team’s reserve driver and hopes to secure a starting place in 2023.