Brought to you by TheJudge13 contributor Still I Surprise
With the latest TJ13 Driver of the Weekend poll, Singapore, closed and the end result was different to what I said initially in a previous analysis. There was a late turn around in sentiment with ‘The Finger’ coming up from behind (pun intended) to usurp then leader ‘Hollywood’ as the official TJ13 DotW of Singapore.
Few can deny ‘The Finger’ deserves his top spot, the first victory for him this season. The soon to be ex World Champion did a great drive to second place!
Last year’s winner, ‘Iceman’ did not even feature on this DotW poll. While ‘The Finger’ won in convincing manner who can forget the Iceman’s drive from 13th to 3rd…
GP winner v TJ13 DotW analysis:
Below I have updated the data and analysis in this type “GP winner v TJ13 fan base” analysis on perception…
|Standings to date|
|Grand Prix||GP Winner||TJ13 DotW|
|Monaco||Britney||Jules ‘ribbet’ Bianchi|
|Canada||Colgate Boy||Colgate Boy*|
|Great Britain||Hollywood||Valeri Bolt-Ass|
|Belgium||Colgate Boy||Colgate Boy|
– Out of 14 races, only on 4 occasions did a driver do the TJ13 double of winning the GP and getting crowned as the TJ13 DotW.
– Therefore in 10 GP’s, the TJ13 community collectively decided someone OTHER than the race winner was the better performer. Interestingly, from a sociological perspective, the TJ13 community collectively see’s beyond who actually won the race, which I originally didn’t bank on. It’s a bit like @F1esty’s analogy of 1000ppl guessing the weight of a cow, and the average somehow being correct.
– Most DotW winners are Colgate Boy and Hollywood, both have 3 DotW’s, followed by The Finger, Teflonzo and Valeri Bolt-ass with 2 each.
– Having led most of the rounds as world title leader, Britney has zero DotW wins as K-Mag in Australia, Bianchi in Monaco, Valeri Bolt-Ass in Austria and Hollywood in Germany were all deemed better performers to Britney’s GP wins.
– Of Hollywood’s 7 GP wins this season, in only 2 was he also considered the TJ13 DotW.
– Despite Mercedes having won 11/14 races collectively, a Mercedes driver has only been deemed worthy of a TJ13 DotW crown 3 times.
A cursory glance at other sites and fan bases, and research on such polls and comments back to Australia suggests these TJ13 results are relatively universal and broadly inline with this community.
Therefore, #WhatAWastedArrow, even if only on a collective team basis. With the Silver Arrow car enjoying an unprecedented 2sec/lap car advantage season long, which in the hands of a Senna/McLaren Team or a Mansell/Williams Team or a Schumi/Ferrari Team, the world title would be wrapped up and delivered by now.
Furthermore and based on that view, I think the F1 fans would still have regularly collectively voted for those aforementioned drivers as their fortnightly race DotW because they’d see the pure extraction of the maximum performance and results from what was available. Not shenanigans, manipulations and under performance speckled with the occasional good drive.
For example I recall similar polls on Schumacher still getting DotW (or equivalent) quite regularly in the years (01,02,04) that he enjoyed his best car advantages, which incidentally were never in the 2sec/lap range. There seemed to always be a feeling of, “oh well, he earned it and ultimately he used it flawlessly. Can’t fault that.” There were no internet polls for the others who enjoy mega car advantages (Senna / Mansell / Clark) who I mention, so I can’t speak to them.
On some level, we know one of the greatest performance gaps, if not the greatest gap in history, is being relatively squandered and it’s not just the reliability I am referring to. The collective poll data above, and elsewhere, reflects that we collectively know this.
*Data Entry adjustment:
Max ‘the model’ Chilton actually got DotW at Canada. Strange joke, clearly, considering he crashed on lap 1 and took his team mate out. Second place promoted in this single instance for the analysis. All others were the DotW contenders selected.