Vettel lobs it back at Ecclestone
Formula One is suffering, especially in the German market. Due to the time difference, the Montreal race was shown at prime time, yet it was seen by one million less viewers than the late night football game of the German Women’s national team two hours later. (That’s soccer for those on the wrong side of the pond)
Bernard Ecclestone has criticised Rosberg and Vettel for not doing enough for Formula One, like going gangsta or divorcing and reuniting with a celebrity girlfriend every other week. He went even as far as telling Rosberg to his face that he was bad for his business during a joint interview at Monaco.
Both Vettel and Rosberg have so far declined to get involved too much, the only time being when Vettel wondered aloud if Bernie might perhaps no longer be in command of all his faculties, because he was talking his own product down.
In an Interview with AFP, Bernard has done that yet again, telling them: “I was recently with some engineers together, and I told them. I’ve been all my life a good seller, but now you gave me a shit product and I have to try and sell it.”
This time however he got a response from within the paddock, when Sebastian Vettel remarked dryly, “Bernie could honestly sell a lot more tickets. He could make them more affordable.”
Horner warns: Don’t ignore what Mateschitz says
We’ve heard over the last two days that everyone from Danny Ricciardo to Dietrich Mateschitz has turned up the pressure on Renault. Only one was missing, but fear not, young laddie, here he is – Horny Spice himself.
“Dietrich doesn’t talk publicly often, but when he does, you have to listen,” Horner tells motorsport.com. “He’s expressing his opinions and views. He’s most definitely frustrated at the moment.”
That would of course lead to the predictable questions about Red Bull’s repeated hints at leaving the sport.
“I’m not in a position to say that. Dietrich is the chairman, he’s the owner, you have to listen to what he says.
“Hopefully it won’t come to that. We need to find a solution. It’s in F1’s interest for Red Bull to be in the sport.”
Speaking about the latest upgrade from Renault, Horner admits that the team is not entirely free of blame.
“I think with all these things it’s never one simple thing. If you look at our deficit to say Mercedes, you could say it’s 80 per cent engine, probably 20 per cent chassis.
“The solution is obviously our quickest way to increase performance is more power. Viry are working hard on that on Renault’s side, but the frustrating thing with the engine is it takes time.
“We’re obviously impatient to get performance on the car.
“We’re working with them behind the scenes, and time will tell. I think over the next two weeks they’ll have some interesting results for next year and later this year, which are crucial.”
Those ‘interesting results’ could well be the latest dyno results that Renault was supposed to present during the crisis meeting with Red Bull on Thursday. Several media report that a large update including a new cylinder head, designed by Mario Illien, is currently being bench-tested in the Renault factory.
McLaren declares Austrian GP an extended test session
Fernando Alonso will be slapped with a 20 place grid penalty, while Jenson Button incurred a massive 25 place drop after the power units have been changed in both cars. Since such large drops are not possible in a field of just 20 cars, both will likely have to serve time or drive-through penalties as well, effectively and literally rendering the Sunday pointless.
Eric the Believable explains that since Button would be getting a 20 place penalty in any case, they decided to change the MGU-K as well. With literally nothing to gain, the team has written off the weekend and considers it additional testing time ahead of the scheduled two-day test next week.