This page will be updated throughout the day.
Please if you are on Twitter press the tweet button below. If you re-write and tweet individual story headlines don’t forget to include #F1.
You may not realise how hugely important this is and has helped grow our community significantly
Previously on TheJudge13:
OTD Lite: 1939 – Nuvolari win his last Grand Prix as war breaks out
Seventy-five years ago today – the inaugural Belgrade Grand Prix was run. It would be the last major international Grand Prix event before the outbreak of the Second World War, the last major victory of the legendary Tazio Nuvolari’s career and the end of one of the most remarkable eras in motor-sport history – as the Mercedes and Auto Unions drew this chapter to a close.
Just two days before, Germany had invaded Poland and today, France and Great Britain declared war on the Germans. The race was sponsored by King Peter II of Yugoslavia and generated major interest for the event with over 100,000 people attending the race.
Things became subdued when news broke, that morning, that war had been declared on Germany. Hermann Lang remembered, “All of us lost every inclination to race but Neubauer returned from our embassy with the news we must keep calm and start.”
In the race, the leading Mercedes of Manfred von Brauchitsch spun and stalled. He let the car run backwards to start it again but Nuvolari passed with typical brio, “Nuvolari came round the corner like a shadow…. thanks to his extreme driving skills an accident was avoided.”
Following the war, the ruling Communist Constituent Assembly deposed the king and he went into exile on the 29th November 1945 and subsequently rewrote history to erase the event form the nations memories.
Europe to impose sanctions on high profile events in Russia
TJ13 has maintained since the Russian occupation of Crimea, that it will become nigh on impossible for Formula 1 to go racing in Sochi.
Visions of Vladimir Putin punching fists on the grid with Lewis Hamilton and the stars of the British based Motorsports series have always been an anathema to even the most blind of the geopolitically aware.
The World Superbike series recognised early that being seen to prance around a Russian track in pursuit of sporting glory would be perceived by many as utterly ridiculous, in the meant time the leadership of F1 fiddled whilst Rome burned. The Russian round of the biking championship was cancelled several months ago.
Italian news sources are stating tonight that in a call to a senior member of the European commission, Putin has claimed, if he so wished he could “take Kiev in two weeks”.
Russian foreign diplomats are suggesting these words have been taken out of context, but fail to deny Putin’s threat.
European heads of state met this last weekend and Italian Foreign Minister Federica Mogherini told the European Parliament on Tuesday that Europe must issue, “the strongest possible response.”
Mogherini, who will be the Euro bloc’s next foreign policy chief, said the European Commission, the EU executive, will present a strengthened package of sanctions against Russia over its military invasion of Ukraine by Wednesday.
Further, the new sanctions against Russia will excluded it from participating in “high-profile international cultural, economic or sporting events.”
A NATO summit is being convened today which is expected to ratify for the first time in NATO’s history, a proposal to deploy in Eastern Europe a rapid response unit of several thousand ground troops, which can be deployed at short notice to ‘hit hard’ in Ukraine.
Meanwhile the global media are failing to report the extreme global danger that Russian actions are currently provoking. they are currently obsessed with the gore and wickedness being perpetrated by Islamic lunatics in the Middle East.
So when those with even half a brain realised the most significant global event between the ex cold war parties was escalating toward levels of tension not seen since the Cuban missile crisis… F1 leaders spewed, ‘Where Bernie and the FIA lead, we will follow’.
Citing contractual obligations, Bernie’s minions are making fair comment; however, not one personal opinion is on record which suggested it may be unwise to race in Russia.
This reveals either the utter delusional state in which F1 finds itself at present, or that F1 is now ruled by a totalitarian regime akin to that in North Korea, which commands absolute compliance or the consequences will result in ‘elimination’.
The last vestiges of respect any reasonable individual had for the FIA and Jean Todt has surely been drowned in the abyss.
As TJ13 has continually asserted, the high water mark for the current F1 business plan has been achieved. For the first time in recent memory, we reported on Monday that almost half of the F1 races for 2015 have no title sponsor, and now another $40m is about to be extracted from the pockets of Bernie and CVC.
An old wisdom saying states, “Sow to the wind and reap the whirlwind”.
Bring on Baku…..
Honda’s return is to raise awareness of their sporting character
Further to the report TJ13 published yesterday in regards the anticipated return of Honda to Formula One, the Head of Honda’s motorsport division, Yasuhisa Arai offered a few more soundbites in regards to the manufacturers return.
“Motorsport is in Honda’s DNA and the targets are of course very challenging to develop an environmentally friendly engine that remains competitive. But this is very important to us, it is the spirit of racing that is critical to our business. One of the reasons behind our decision to return is the fact that the F1 engines are producing similar speeds to the old generation of engine but with a Unit that is smarter technologically and concentrates on saving resources”
“Of course Honda has a glorious past as an engine supplier but not as a team owner, this is because our speciality is the engine. Mclaren, our partner’s speciality is the chassis and management of the race and track activity – so the best plan to win is to combine the two.”
It goes without saying that part of the reason Honda is pushing so hard to sign Fernando Alonso for next season is because they have witnessed just how ‘good’ the Mclaren chassis department is currently. Their engine would have to be comprehensively better than the competition just to be competitive with them! But an Alonso has the ability to raise the performance curve of the car seemingly through sheer will power alone.
As to next season, “I am confident that we will fight with Mercedes and I think the other two engine suppliers will recover next season too. I can imagine Mercedes has found the perfect balance between chassis and power unit and that the others are still trying, so we will work with Mclaren as a team.”
“Ultimately we want to increase awareness of our brand and send out a positive signal for our brand globally. In Europe fans perceive Honda as a sports brand and with Formula One as a catalyst we want to deliver the message that Honda are very sporting.”
In comedy, the Japanese are shown as camera totting tourists who photograph even the moss growing between pavement cracks. As people they are always viewed as terminally polite and courteous to the extreme and with ground-breaking electronics and technology that is enjoyed around the world.
But Honda, a manufacturer of sporting cars…
Beautiful Max to ask Daddy for pocket money to race again
Speculation in the Italian media has risen to “alarming” rumours that Marussia may not be competing at Monza this weekend because of financial issues. Sources inside the Banbury team have refuted these claims but there is the very likely scenario that ‘Magnificent’ Max Chilton will be spectating this weekend.
Chilton Snr rescued his seat by paying the team between the two free practice sessions in Belgium but once again it seems his seat will be warmed by the posterior of a.n.other. Kamui Kobayashi has been spoken of as a possible replacement but it seems unlikely as surely his money would have seen him safe at Caterham – who are also in similar financial straits.
Circuit of Wales sublets to Donington as predicted
Back on the 24th March, TJ13 reported on the plans to build a circuit in Wales using questionable finance arrangements and loans from the Welsh and British governments. Of course at the time, Silverstone Circuits and Jonathon Palmer went on the offensive to highlight the truth behind these aspirations of the Circuit planners calling any release of monies akin to ‘illegal state aid‘.
On the 15th August, the court once again reported that the Circuit of Wales had signed a contract with MotoGP to host the British event for the next five years in the Welsh hills. In similar fashion to how Donington signed contracts with Bernie to host the British Grand Prix at the Leicestershire track before even a clod of earth had been removed, so to the ineffectual leaders of a world racing championship signing contracts with an organisation that chooses to reject all Freedom of Information requests in relation to their progression and finances.
Today word reaches TJ13 that as predicted the MotoGP event will be appearing at Donington next year.”After the announcement of the long-term partnership between Dorna and the Circuit of Wales three weeks ago, it was our priority to ensure the seat for 2015,” said Chris Herring of the Circuit of Wales. “It is in the interest of everyone, especially the fans, to make a decision as soon as possible and we believe that Donington Park is the right choice to grow the MotoGP in UK”.
Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta said: “The Circuit of Wales has worked hard to ensure the best outcome for fans of the British stage and we believe that Donington Park will be giving away another great race in 2015, Donington Park has a long tradition and has been the scene of some of the most exciting MotoGP races in recent years, we are confident that the hard work started four years ago, will ensure a successful event. “
Having hosted the event from 1987 to 2009 and losing the race simply because Donington’s Simon Gillett chased Bernie’s Holy Grail, it seems the machinations behind the scenes has returned the premier motorbike event to their spiritual home. As to the Circuit of Wales… more news as the fantasists release press statements.
Haas Formula metamorphoses into Haas F1 Team
It would appear that Ferrari have instilled a little common sense into the boss of their forth-coming B team. Originally Gene Haas had christened his future enterprise Haas Formula but has now announced that going forward they will be known as Haas F1 team.
To avoid any confusion that Haas had developed a new formula for baby milk, he explained, “Haas F1 Team automatically conveys our place among the pinnacle of motorsports. When you hear ‘F1’ you know exactly what it is – a global racing series that showcases the latest technology and attracts the best talent in engineering and design.”
“Haas Automation has an excellent reputation in the United States and I want that reputation to grow worldwide. Connecting Haas Automation with F1 in name and in practice when the Haas F1 Team debuts in 2016 is the best way to grow our business and elevate Haas Automation to a premium, global brand.”
Parabolica challenge destroyed
We always knew Charlie Whiting wasn’t quite all there. 35% of the gravel has been replaced. It would seem either his math is awry or the 35% meant depth not area… A tarmac runoff area which is wider than the circuit all in the name of safety…. sorry the official line was for the return of motor-bike racing wasn’t it Chuck?