Formula One CEO Chase Carey believes that further race postponements are possible between now and this summer.
On Monday, the CEO of F1 announced that the 2020 season should start this summer without giving a precise date because of the evolution of the coronavirus epidemic which now affects the whole planet.
So far, Formula 1 has already postponed the first eight races of the season, while two of them have been outright cancelled [Australia and Monaco].
But Chase Carey believes there are still other races that can be postponed or cancelled before this summer, including the Canadian and French Grand Prix, both scheduled for June.
“We recognise that there is significant potential for further postponements in the events currently scheduled, however, we and our partners fully expect the season to start at some point this summer, with a revised schedule of 15 to 18 races. ” said Carey.
Officially, the 2020 season is scheduled to begin in Canada on June 14th, and for now, the event organizers are continuing preparations while continuing to monitor the evolution of the health crisis.
“Preparations for the Formula One World Championship Formula One Grand Prix of Canada 2020 scheduled for June 12th, 13th and 14th are going well and continuing.” said the organisers.
“It is a situation that we are monitoring on a sustained basis and is evolving rapidly. We are in constant communication with members of F1, the FIA and public authorities.
“Our priority is to hold an event in safe conditions for both spectators and staff.”
The same goes for the French Grand Prix. The French Grand Prix is still confirmed for June 28th and the organisers of the event, although aware of the risks of cancellation or postponement, continue to work to set up the event.
“We’re still three months away, there are discussions with the FOM to find out what their intentions are as well, because it concerns the teams first and foremost. ” says Eric Boullier, the director of the GP de France, explained last week on Canal+.
“We are concerned about the spectators first, so today we have the possibility to cancel the Grand Prix and above all to be able to reimburse our customers, our spectators, our fans.
“We will press the button only when we know that there will be health consequences that are not respected, and at that time we will be asked to cancel it anyway.
“The organisation, even though it has slowed down, it’s going on for now… I wouldn’t say like nothing happened because it’s not true. But in any case we are planning to have a French Grand Prix and then we will see how the situation develops. ”
Lando onboard battle takes out competitor
Mass crash at the start, technical problems at Lando Norris and almost no Formula 1 drivers: The first official virtual Grand Prix has provided entertainment in the fight against boredom in times of the Corona pandemic, not surprisingly it was lacking in any seriousness or indeed many actual F1 drivers.
The race on the Bahrain track in the F1 2019 racing simulation served on Sunday as a replacement for the cancelled real Grand Prix.
Nico Hülkenberg (Racing Point) caused a….. READ MORE ON THIS STORY